Sump pumps are an important part of any home with a basement – particularly here in the rainy Pacific Northwest. These machines are usually located in the lowest part of your home, and they work to keep groundwater out of your home. If your sump pump begins to fail, you could experience problems such as:
- Flooding in your basement
- Extensive water damage
- Ruined belongings and appliances
- Moisture problems and mold growth
Why Is My Sump Pump Not Working?
Sump pumps are designed to withstand years of regular use. Over time, however, these machines can develop problems that may impact their performance, which puts your home at risk. Here are some of the most common reasons why a sump pump will stop working:
- Power shortage: Your sump pump won’t be able to function without power. Even if power outages rarely happen, it’s useful to have a non-electric backup sump pump in case of power failure. This could save your home from flooding during a hard storm with heavy rain that causes a power outage.
- Jammed switch: Sump pumps generally turn on in response to a pressure sensor or float activator flipping a switch. However, this switch can become jammed due to dirt or debris, which may prevent the pump from turning on when it needs to.
- Frozen or clogged discharge lines: Your sump pump works by sending water through the discharge lines to the exterior of your home. If these discharge lines become clogged, then the water will have nowhere to go and will continue to pool indoors.
- Old or defective pump: Though sump pumps are built to last, they will eventually wear out. If your pump is 10 years old or older, then it may be time to look for a replacement rather than investing in continuous repairs.
- Poor installation or lack of maintenance: If your sump pump is not installed correctly or is not the right size for your space, then it will not function the way it is supposed to. Additionally, poorly maintained sump pumps may become clogged with debris that can inhibit its performance.
Need a Sewer Services Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you right back!
Signs You Need Sump Pump Repair Services
Sump pump failure can cause major issues in your home, which is why it’s important to know when your machine needs professional attention. An expert can perform necessary repairs and make recommendations about when to replace your unit, so your home is always protected. If your sump pump is showing any of these signs, you may need repair services:
- Visible rust or corrosion
- Loud or strange noises
- Not turning on or off
- Not working at the right times
- The sump pump is 10 years or older
Quality Sump Pump Installation & Repair Services
If your sump pump isn’t working properly, don’t hesitate to call the experts at Axiom Plumbing! We have been serving the Portland OR area for years, and we understand just how important a properly functioning sump pump can be. It is our goal to provide you with exceptional workmanship and a seamless customer experience so your sump pump can be the last of your worries. Just give us a call today to get started!